Monday, November 30, 2009

don't be lazy!

Ever since I started work, I realized I’m been ignoring the environment. Using my air conditioning to full blast, printing out stuff with no consideration for the number of papers being used. Driving at top speed, chugging down fuel for such short distances.

I’ve never felt guiltier in my life. It is very important for us to be conscious of our rapidly degrading environment.

Here’s a little of what I have done in the recent days:

Stopped using my air conditioning

I try and drive slow (yeah right)

I make sure before I print, there are no errors, hence need not having to re-print.

switch of computers when not in use. (along with the monitors)

Switching of switches instead of just the device that's plugged.

Fueling at night or early in the morning rather than in broad daylight.

Other things you can also do is be a vegetarian.

Vegetarianism helps the environment greatly as animal farming is one of the main contributors to global warming.

You don’t even have to be a complete vegetarian. Eating lesser amounts of meat less frequently can be practiced instead. This may be hard for some, but really, meat is like smoking, you reduce it slowly and eventually you don't need it anymore! Plus don't we love animals??

Walking or cycling instead of using cars would be very much helpful, however in KL where drivers are mad, and the government does not believe in providing bicycle and pedestrian lanes do not help much.

I hope I do not become a hypocrite. I really do try and practice what I preach, but sometimes laziness takes over me. But that shall not happen anymore. I’m gonna buy my sports shoes today!

Oh!
When I have saved up eanough money, I plan to get a can o worm for our house. i just hope it will be as it says. Clean and hassle free.

2 comments:

  1. You don't have to buy can o worms to start composting, you can do it yourself. Just get a big barrel from a factory or someplace like that and dig a hole in your garden to bury it in. Conventionally, people put it underground because it helps maintain the optimum temperature for the bacteria to decompose the waste.

    Also, after 3 months, your compost will start producing flammable gases, you can siphon the gas out and use it to heat water, cook food, generate electricity(through a generator) if you want. If you're thinking that burning is contributing to global warming, you're actually helping because the flammable gases are actually more hazardous greenhouse gases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh! you know there's this water mixture you can make with all your decomposable garbage (like vege/fruits peeling) and then leafe it for three months. and apparently its really amazing liquid that can be used as a cleaning liquid and stuff. and totally has no chemicals (unlike stuff on the shelves!)

    ReplyDelete