Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sun Salutation

The Sun Salutation a.k.a Surya Namaskar
This is a yoga pose, that according to my yoga teacher is an excellent form of cardiovascular exercise. The benefits of the sun salutation is that, it gives you a wholesome workout.




Not only does it tone your muscles, it uses your own body weight to exercise. After about 4 or 5 sun salutations, you'll feel like you've jogged for five minutes.

Apparently the average healthy person should be able to do 108 sun salutations in 20 minutes.
I managed 20 in 20 minutes.
The first ten salutations were okay, but after that, oh gawd, the pain started creeping in, the muscles were beginning to sore from fatigue. But my Yoga teacher, he looks really scary and this was my first lesson with him, so I had to make my self look good, so I managed 20. Pheww! But I tell you, my first time at it, I didn't even get past 6. Tsk tsk tsk...

Anyways, today I thought my sister sun salutations. It dawned upon me to do so, as I pitied seeing her struggle on the treadmill.

The sun salutation is really an ideal for of exercise because, if done correctly it does not hurt your joints unlike most other vigorous activities.

Have a go at it, and you'll see how beneficial the sun salutation can be!

Oh, according to the website I've linked here, it gives you step-by-step instructions on the sun salutation. You will also notice that at each step you're either inhaling or exhaling. You're basically inhaling at every alternate step.

It would be better to firstly start with normal breathing and to then master the breathing with each step.

Once you have mastered the steps, for a more vigorous workout, you can chose to do an Entire sun salutation in one breath!

Begin with 5-10 sun salutations a day, to be done in less than 15 minutes, then progressively increase the number of salutations by 5 each day, and in no time will you be able to do a 108 in 20 minutes with a breeze. Good luck!

Also, don't worry, just because it's called the sun salutation need not mean it be done in front of the sun, or at particular times, do it at any time, any where, as you wish!

I guess, now that I've blogged about it, I should start too... when my sister gets back. It's only nice that I wait for her rigghttt??

Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment